Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Week 3 of 52 Week Organization Challenge

Week 3 of the Organization Challenge was Food Storage, Pantry and Spices.  You can find the link here
During week 2 which was cabinets, I had already organized my pantry cabinet and my spices. 

My spices that i use regularly are in the clear plastic basket that I can pull down easily and get out what I need and put right back in.  I put my cereal in the Snap N Lock containers and so wish I would have spent the $6 each on them long ago.  It is so easy to pour the cereal out of these things and they fit on my shelf perfect! I just got the 3M removable labels that are cute and put what the cereal is and the good till date on it. I was never able to put the cereal in this cabinet before because the boxes would not fit on the shelf.  The containers hold the full box of cereal!  I also have some snacks in this cabinet as well as some cooking ingredients.


My other upstairs food storage is a little built in by the back door which is right around the corner from the kitchen.  This built in was already there when we bought this house and for the 1st year or 2 I had no idea what to do with it.  Then one day I got a bright idea and had hubbie cut out wood and put the shelves in!  Instant canned good storage!  The 1st 2 shelves I decided to keep the ingredients for the weeks meals here so I knew what I had and could find the stuff easily.  I just decided to do that this week and hopefully it works out well for us.

The last food storage area is in my basement.  I have some nice heavy duty shelving units in one of my storage areas for food and extra cookware.  If there is a good sale on stuff or its super cheap after coupons, even if I don't need it that week, I like to stock up on it.  This area is good for that because it stays cool and dry down here so I don't have to worry about any of it getting icky, most of it is canned goods anyways.  I haven't done this area yet, but I'm hoping to get it complete this week when I do the Deep Freezer this week.


I did also organize and clean out my under the sink cabinet.  It was a hot mess before I attacked it!  It had 7 vases in it (which i really only use in the summer and that is only 1!), it had a ton of Meijer plastic bags and things were not very organized.  So I went through and took all the vases downstairs, cleaned out the plastic bags (although I'm still not sure what to do with these, I'll probably just buy one of those fabric bag holders) threw away the old nasty cleaning supplies, and now have a beautiful cleaning product cabinet!

This weeks challenge is the Refrigerator and Freezer!  My frig is pretty good (but could use a good clean) but my freezer is a mess! Cant wait to do this weeks challenge!

0 comments: