Wednesday, January 4, 2012

DIY Fabric Softner

Again, something else that I found on Pinterest!  I would have never thought to do this before.  I am a pretty loyal Downy with Febreeze fan!  Well now that I'm on a diy kick I thought that I would give this a chance.  Over the past weekend we ran out of Fabric Softener and instead of going to the store to spend $4-$5 on a bottle that would get me about 42 ozs I decided to make it myself.  Sorry that I have no pictures of me making this but it was before I decided to start my blog back up. 

But here is the recipe for FABRIC SOFTENER:
6 Cups Hot Water
1 Bottle (approx 10-13 oz) of your Favorite, or the cheapest Conditioner
3 Cups of White Vinegar
Container to Hold it

From my previous years of bargain shopping, I had a free bottle of conditioner, I think the brand was Loereal and had a bottle of vinegar I had got with a coupon for about .50.  I did need a container to put this in, and of course we had just thrown out the old empty bottle of fabric softener so I couldn't even use that (which is what I wanted to do) so I used my  water jug that we do not use anymore.

Steps:
1. Get hot water from your tap (or microwave it for about 1 min to get it hot) and add your bottle of conditioner.  Stir it until the conditioner is dissolved.
2. Add your 3 cups of Vinegar and mix together.
3. Pour into a container with a lid

Use 2 TBSP per load of laundry.


That is it!  I did make a double batch of this (using 2 different brands of conditioner) so I about filled up my container.  When I was making it Hubbie was very leery about it because of the vinegar smell but I told him to trust me on this. 

And this is my fabric softener!  I made about 166 oz and using 1 oz per load (1 TBSP equals .5 oz) I will get about 166 loads out of this! Woo Hoo

Well we have done a few loads of Laundry with this so far and it really does make the clothes feel softer!  And there is no vinegar smell at all! There really is not a smell at all, only clean if that makes sense.  I am very happy with this so far and will be saving our family a ton of money!  The double batch cost me about $1.00 and if I would by it at the store, It would cost about $15-$20 using coupons!
If you end up making this, leave a comment on how you like it!

And here is the link for my DIY Powdered Laundry Soap!


0 comments: