Friday, January 20, 2012

How Many Days is Too Many Days for a Hubbie to be Gone?

Brian rarely travels for his job (he is in customer support for a company that designs and supports shipping and receiving software- he has a fancy title and would probably describe his job a whole lot different, but honestly all I know is he works on the computer and makes decent money doing it!) but it seems like these last 3-4 months he has.  On average he has to go to Atlanta where the company is out of or a client site about 2-3 times a year.  Since November he has gone away 3 times!  The time in November and December were just nice 4-5 day trips and he was home by Friday night.  This time he was gone 10 (TEN) LONG days! 
I know I don't give my hubbie enough credit but he is an AMAZING husband and father.  He does 50% of all the household and kid related stuff (which is alot more than some people's husbands do!)  He works from home so he helps out and takes Caden to the babysitter in the morning while I take Emma to school, he gets Emma at school when she gets off at 2:15 each day, on Tuesdays he is able to leave work early and take Emma to gymnastics, he gives the kids their baths, and does a ton more stuff I'm not even mentioning.  So him leaving last Wed morning and not coming home till late tonight was a huge adjustment for us.  This was the 1st time he had been gone over a weekend. 
My kids were so amazing these days that Brian has been gone, hardly whining, fighting or being really upset that their daddy has been gone what seems like forever.  The 1st few days Brian was gone he worked a ton so we didn't get to talk to him much, but on Sunday we did Skype for the very 1st time and were able to talk to him! It was really neat seeing him and being able to talk to him.  Caden didn't want to let the Ipod Touch go!  Once we put him to bed we had to call Brian back so Emma could have a chance to talk to him! 
I was doing pretty good while Brian was gone, dealing full time with the kids, household chores, my crafty stuff, and the daily snow we have been getting.  But my breaking point was 7 days!  On the 7th day, which was a Wednesday I cried on the way to work!  The stress of him being gone and missing him finally got to me.  Thankfully I have awesome friends and family who have kept my mind off him being gone and kept me sane for those 7 days!  After the good old cry to work, I was feeling better, feeling that I could do these last 3 days without much injury to those I came into contact with. 
So thank you to my Dad who was able to bring Emma home from school each day with him and came out to my car to get Emma in the morning so I didn't have to get Caden out of the car, my mom for watching Caden both Thursday nights while we were at gymnastics and Dance, Amanda for feeding me twice, Amanda for being so helpful with Caden and watching Emma on MLK day, Ferris for being my best friend (even though I didn't stress out on her, she is just always there to talk and that makes a huge difference), my work for being so great about my hours and to all you that are reading my blog and making comments!  Its so nice to know that there are people out there that care for you!

So, How many days is too many days for your hubbie to be gone??

1 comments:

BabiesandBargains said...

Oh goodness Im so sorry! My husband is never gone over night just has some long days where I have the kids from the time they wake up till they go to bed and Im always dead to the world the next day! What doesnt kill you makes you stronger! Yay for awesome help in your life.