Friday, January 27, 2012

Paper File Box

I have this awesome 9 cube black storage piece that I got at Target a few years ago that sits in my living room.  It is super handy in that it holds a bunch of different stuff in canvas totes.  You cant see what is in the totes so you can put whatever you want in them!  But I don't want the whole thing filled up with totes, I like some of the holes open and the 3 on the top shelf hold things that I want to be able to get to easily and wouldn't fit to well in a tote. 


I have been thinking of a way to store all the important papers that I get from Emma's school, magazines and anything else I want.  I looked into getting a nice metal or even plastic file folder that could hold files and I could stick all my stuff in one of those to be nice, neat and organized.  The problems is that they are all too big! The hole is 11x11x11 and most of the file boxes are at least 13x11x11, so obviously they don't fit :( 

My finished product!

On pinterest I have seen a few people talk about decorating cereal boxes or old mailed boxes and I thought that that would work the best for me.  So I got 3 Mail boxes that we had received at work, 1 yard of clearance $4 a yard fabric and got to work!

I first measured out how long I wanted them to be and cut the tops off of them.  I than took packing tape and taped all 3 together.



My pretty $4 a yard fabric!

Because you could see the dark parts of the box thru the fabric, I decided to take some white scrapbook paper I had and mod podge it on the top and 2 sides. I also decided to put paper on the shelves of the box as well.

To get the front edge of the fabric looking nice and not having it continue to fray, I used some Heat Bond hemming tape and my iron to make a hem.




After this i used my mod podge again to glue the fabric onto my box.  I pretty much put it on like you would wrap a present.


And here is the finished product in my 9 cube storage unit! So happy with how it turned out!

0 comments: