Monday, January 16, 2012

Week 2 of 52 Week Organization Challenge

Well Week 2 of the 52 week organization challenge was Kitchen Drawers and Cabinet organization.  This is the link to last weeks challenge.  Don't let just reading the post overwhelm you.  Its a great post but there is alot of information in it and shows how to do it all.  Each night, take 1 or 2 drawers or cabinets and start there! You can do it! This week should go pretty smoothly for me though because over the last month or so I have been slowly making more room in my cabinets and drawers and ridding my kitchen of unused items and items I rarely use.  These items have been going into my basement food storage area.  As you could see from last weeks challenge, my kitchen is super small so I really need to make the most of what I have.  Most of my cooking ware takes up alot of room and that cabinet is always a mess!  That will be my biggest challenge this week.

A few weeks ago, I went through my 2 junk drawers! Can you believe I have 2 junk drawers in a kitchen that has 6 drawers total??  That was not good.  So i threw away alot of stuff, moved alot of Brian's tools back to where they belong and combined them into 1 drawer! So that means that I have 1 drawer fully open! (it is a small drawer though!)  So here is my list of drawers and what is in each!

1.  Silverware drawer-  this drawer is not a very big one and stores all the silverware, including the kids stuff.  I still had Caden's baby baby spoons in there, and as I am done having kids, I got rid of the ones we don't use.  That still left me with a bunch of toddler spoons and forks.  I went thru those as well and limited myself to 5 spoons and 5 forks.  We do the dishes daily so that will keep me good.


2. Utensil drawer-  this drawer holds all the stuff in it that I can not fit into the holder by the stove.
3. My towel drawer- this drawer holds all my kitchen towels and used to have some junk in it as well, but not anymore! Only my towels now!
4. Junk Drawer- Holds some junk!
5. Empty Drawer- Right now just holds some box tops as I don't know what else to put in there!

6. Hot Pads- Holds just my hot pads!

Up next were the cabinets.  Over the weekend I did reorganize the kids cabinet and Tupperware cabinet so those are checked off the list.  The kids cabinet isnt the most organized because they get into it but it holds what we need and no more junk!

My Tupperware is all in a tote in the pull out drawer and the lids are in a tote on the shelf above.

All the kids plates, bowls and some of Caden's food up top.



 I also went through our drink cabinet and got rid of some old plastic cups that we don't really use and take up way to much space. We have entirely too many sippy cups so that cabinet needed to be purged bad! I combined the kids cups with ours and put the cups we use but not everyday in the one next to it

As you can see from last weeks challenge I have Emma's lunch schedule on one cabinet and important papers for her school on the other side.  The basket on the top left shelf holds spices that I do not use very often but wanted to keep in the kitchen.



 The over the frig cabinet really doesn't have much in it because I cant reach it so that was not too bad to do.
I also combined the cereal cabinet with my pantry cabinet so I was able to move my pots and the big pot into a cabinet with a slider!

I went through all this and organized my spices into a basket so I can pull the basket down easily to get what I want.

I do have more pots but they are all in the dishwasher right now!
 
The cabinet that I was not looking forward to doing is the pots and pans! I HATE that cabinet.  Its hard for me to get in and out of that cabinet all the big bulky stuff.  But since I did gain a cabinet by moving the cereal, I think this should work out!  By moving the the pots over to the other cabinet I have more room now and I can easily reach everything in there.
I may put the pots back in here and move the glass bowls to where the pots are at, but haven't decided yet.  Ill give this current set up a week to see how I like it.

The one cabinet that I did not get to was the under the sink cabinet.  That one is pretty bad and I was putting that off for sure.  I am going to do that with week 3 challenge since week 3 is Kitchen Pantry, Spices and Food storage.  Since I did most of that with this weeks challenge I will definitely have time to do that.  See you next week!

0 comments: