Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pinterest and DIY Dryer Balls

For those of you that don't know, I am addicted to Pinterest with a capitol A D D I C T E D!  Oh my how I just love this website.  I have really never been one to do things myself, I usually just like to buy as is, or the materials are all in the box, have the hubbie screw them all together.  That all changed with Pinterest.  One of my Amanda friends (yes I have 2 very good Amanda friends, both that I met about 2.5 years ago in my daughters very 1st dance class and both of who I see regularly! I mean what are the odds that I will meet 2 Amanda's at my daughters dance class that had about 7 girls in? But in the beginning it did make it very easy to remember their names LOL) started telling us Dance girls about this site that was awesome that you pinned stuff onto boards.  At 1st I had no idea what she was talking about so didn't really give any extra thought to what she was saying.  Than on facebook I started seeing some other friends post recipes and cute things on their updates from Pinterest, so I thought what the heck, I'll give the website a try.  1st time I went on there I was quite confused and had no idea what the heck it was about, than I realized you had to be invited to be able to see most of the stuff.  I was like, what the heck, this is stupid! But of course I had to email Amanda to have her invite me ASAP.  After that it has been a love affair! Good thing the hubbie isn't a jealous person!

I have made some stuff from this site in the last few weeks and am hooked on saving money and making cool stuff.  Over the weekend I made some homemade DIY fabric softener (I'll take some pics and post tomorrow) and reading some of the comments and sites saw you can make Dryer Balls that will help reduce the drying time of your load and if you put essential oils in them they will make your clothes smell good just like dryer sheets!  I was hooked.  Alot of the sites talked about wool dryer balls and something about felting, um hello, I am new to this whole crafty, sewing, DIY stuff and that looked way to hard.  You had to buy this certain wool yarn (that some people said was hard to find) tie it around your finger, than make a ball, put it in a pantyhose, wash and dry it (i guess that is what felting is, still kinda confused about that) and than you could use them.  Well that was way too much work for me.  So I kept searching and found This awesome Link for dryer Balls.
So this is what I did...
1.  Got 2 of my old tshirts, 1 of Brian's and 3 pairs of socks I don't wear anymore.

2.  I than cut the sleeves off and than the shirts into strips.


3.  Than I knotted the sleeve part two times- this makes your core.



 
4.  Next I just took 1 strip and wrapped it around the knot, than took another strip and wrapped it the opposite way, and I kept doing that until I got about a fist sized "ball" (mine are very misshaped!)






5.  Take your "ball" and put it into the toe of a sock.  Then twist the extra material once, and turn the sock into itself.  Keep doing this until you can't anymore.
 



6.  Sewing comes into this last part! As you can see I am a TERRIBLE Sewer but in my defense, this was the very 1st time I have ever sewed anything!! Yes I am a 30 year old college educated wife and mother and have never sewed anything.  I blame my Catholic High School for not offering Home EC! 



All in All this project took me probably 2-3 hours.  Would have taken alot less time if I knew how to sew.  But really still not bad for not having to buy fabric sheets anymore.  I did buy from the Vitamin Store some Essential Oil- Nature's Alchemy Orange flavor and put a few drops on each one.  So hopefully that will give the clothes a nice fresh smell as well.
 
Essential Oil Orange 0.5 oz. ( Multi-Pack)

0 comments: